|| WELCOME TO LONG MYND WALKING
THE SOUTH SHROPSHIRE HILLS
The beautiful South Shropshire Hills are ideal for walking, cycling, running,camping and a few more unusual activities!
We offer a range of courses and access to leisure activities in this beautiful area for young people and adults. Formal or informal, certificated or for leisure, our aim is always to help you to enjoy your experience with us.
The South Shropshire Hills are readily accessible from the West Midlands in particular, and via the M5 and M6 from many other parts of the country.
DUKE OF EDINBURGH AWARD
The South Shropshire Hills, including the upland heath of the Long Mynd, offer a wonderful environment in which to introduce young people to the outdoors. For Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions, the area offers a variety of terrain, interest and challenges, but is not isolated or exhausting. It is ideal for Bronze and Silver Award levels. We offer:
- Preparation for Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions (Bronze to Gold).
- In-school/college support for young people - an intensive workshop or a series of short sessions at your venue to develop essential pre-expedition skills.
- Practice expedition support accompanying young peoples expeditions in Shropshire or elsewhere: briefing, monitoring, advising and generally working with you to develop their skills, confidence and expedition achievements.
- Teacher support Away Day and mini-residential workshops in organising and supporting young people in their Award expeditions, including how to carry out risk assessments for outdoor activities.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Bronze, Silver and Gold Award expedition assessments available where we have not provided coaching support at the level concerned to those undertaking the expedition (to avoid any potential conflict of interest)
- Hill and Moorland Leader
- Lowland Leader
- Basic Expedition Leader
- Flora and Fauna walks
- Foraging courses
- First Aid for outdoor activities
- Bush Craft courses
- Guided walks for your group or for individuals
- Basic to advanced map reading and navigation skills
SO MUCH MORE TO DO
Through our local contacts we can schedule a programme including other
outdoor activities for you. If youd like to include mountain biking, leisure cycling,
paragliding, canoeing or orienteering in your trip, talk to us or email your requirements.
We can also provide all you need to know about leisure facilities in the area for activities such
as tennis, golf and swimming. Effectively we can provide a one-stop-shop for your active break
arrangements in Shropshire. This saves you time and hassle on pre-trip research, phone calls and emails
with individual activity providers. We can also pass on Visitor Information Centre material about accommodation
and general leisure in the area.
Please call for a chat to discuss what you would like to do - mobile 07917 104837.
We can advise on visiting local places if you wish to extend your stay, or for partners or other family members who may not wish to participate in the outdoor activities offered. Shropshire has a rich heritage, lively local events programme and is fantastic pottering country.